Thursday, March 26, 2009

Potluck dishes...

Tomorrow is a potluck day at school and since I will actually be on campus substituting for the librarian then I am able to take stuff! Our team is hosting it and our theme is "Pasta."

Since so many people are bringing pasta dishes I figured we needed something more vegetably as a side...but I don't want to make anything that would require staying hot. So I found this recipe on http://www.allrecipes.com/ which Mom and I share an account on.

The title on allrecipes is called Jonny's Easy Garbonzalicious Tangy Artichoke and Bean Salad...which is kinda long...I like to just call it...

Cold Three-Bean Salad
Ingredients:
2 (15 oz.) cans garbanzo beans a.k.a. chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed*
1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans, drained & rinsed*
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, quartered, drained
1 (6 oz.) can jumbo black olives, halved*
6 radishes, chopped*
2 carrots, coarsely grated*

*changes I made:
in place of the kidney beans, I buy 2 cans of the three bean mix that has dark and light kidney beans plus black beans, I think it's the Organics brand at Kroger so they are all already mixed and I don't really care for carrots or radishes so I chopped up half of a sweet red bell pepper and half of a yellow bell pepper and liked it much better, the olives I consider totally optional, I like them but occasionally I don't have them to add or I just forget...ha!

Dressing:
2/3 c. extra light tasting olive oil
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 t. onion powder
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/4 c. sunflower seeds (optional)
(the dressing really is good...I think I may make it sometime as a marinade or just for use on salad...yummy)

Directions:
1. Combine beans, artichoke hearts, olives, and other vegetables you decide to use in large bowl.
2. Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar in small glass bowl (or I have a dressing mixer with a small plunger that I use, you could probably put all in a shaker type too). Add garlic powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and black pepper; whisk to combine. Pour dressing over the bean mixture and toss carefully to evenly distribute. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Stirring often to redistribute dressing.
3. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds to serve.

And we also had to take a dessert. I wanted something EASY to make that required again no cooking!!! So I did some research for a recipe that it had been a while since I had had and found the Weight Watcher Pudding Jello Fruit Fluff or what I like to call:

Fluff Pie
Ingredients:
16 oz. (two tubs) FAT-FREE cool whip, thawed
1 pkg. FAT-FREE SUGAR-FREE instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pkg. SUGAR-FREE raspberry gelatin

now this is where I like to stop in the recipe and is all really I like to use...mix well in a large bowl and pour into a graham cracker crust (buy the reduced fat one and HELLO yummie dessert where you could really probably eat the WHOLE pie and not feel guilty). Let set on counter for about 10-15 minutes to give gelatin time to kinda dissolve and then put in freezer. This is really good during the summer b/c it is so yummie frozen.

The actual recipe calls for the addition of fruit in the following quantities but I'm not big on the fruit in the pie with the raspberry flavor maybe just with plain cool-whip...
1 (20 oz.) can no-sugar-added pineapple
1 (16 oz.) can no-sugar-added fruit cocktail
1 (16 oz.) can no-sugar-added mandarin oranges

1. drain all fruit
2. mix jello and pudding into thawed cool whip
3. gently fold in drained fruit
4. chill

I see endless taste combinations with this recipe...how about cheesecake flavored pudding paired with strawberry gelatin? or vanilla & vanilla and serve in a chocolate graham pie crust! or vanilla and orange...like a sherbert kind of flavor? Maybe then I would add the mandarin oranges! The combinations are endless! YUM!

Try and Enjoy!
:-)

1 comment:

kch said...

ooo...I'll be making the bean salad to take to school when we have potlucks! Sounds delicious...and so easy! I agree with the changes you made!