Saturday, January 30, 2010

My new favorite vegetable...

This past week my library aide, Carina, introduced me to cucumbers, the Hispanic way.

Now I've had them before but not like this...usually cucumbers in the South are pickled into pickles (homemade pickles are divine) or are a garnish on a salad (where Wanda always puts them) or drenched in vinegar (how Aunt Lori likes them)and while all of those are good they've never been my favorite vegetable to eat. They always seem so bland.

Carina brought some this past week with her lunch and made me try them and I immediately bought some on the way home and I've eaten 2 whole cucumbers this week! Here is what she did, which I am calling "Mexican Cucumbers" because she is of Mexican heritage, also, she said it's how they make them in Mexico:

Mexican Cucumbers:

1 cucumber
1 lime
salt, to taste

peel cucumber and cut off ends
slice
slightly salt the slices
squeeze juice of one lime over all cucumber slices

OMG! AMAZING! Best cucumbers I've ever had! And so refreshing! MMMM!

Go try it today, they will be your new favorite vegetable!

1 comment:

kch said...

ok...I may actually have to try this! Cukes have always given me such indigetion...but I love lime!