Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I am so tired of Galveston. Driving to work in the morning is the most depressing thing, it sets the tone for the day & kills any kind of positive attitude I have going. We drive by (I'm commuting with the Art teacher) piles of trash & debris, houses that are leaning sideways, boats still sitting on the highway, flashing red stop lights, traffic that is made worse because of all the workers coming to work on the island...

Last week when the list I posted yesterday was told to us, it instantly killed any kind of work ethic I had going. If my school isn't opened up then why should I try to solicit donations of books and materials? If there is going to be a RIF, then why should I spend any time or effort on my job to filling out disaster relief forms for the library? Besides all that, what about UTMB? Will we even be living here come January?

I searched the 7 school districts north of Galveston that wouldn't be too far of a drive for job postings...but everyone has a full staff at this point.

Austin has one elementary librarian position open and 3 children's librarian openings in the public library system. Maybe moving wouldn't be so bad.

My body is so stressed from all of this that I missed my monthly last month, which I NEVER have ever had happen...but no worries I started yesterday. lol

I'm just tired. Tired of it all. Tired of seeing it; tired of smelling it (no kidding, it stinks still); tired of being here; tired of being in someone else's space both as a job and living arrangement. (For those of you who don't know, Warren is in our FEMA hotel and wrapping up surgery this week, and I am living in Mark's dining room on his air matress in his apartment). At this point, all I do is show up and get paid and at least there is some security in that. But I really just want to walk away, walk away and not come back. Thank God I don't have to deal with insurance people, although we still haven't gotten any money that I know of from FEMA so we are probably going to have to re-file or do another claim or something.

K, I'm going to go drive by my school that I'm contemplating breaking & entering to steal MY OWN THINGS back from. Then will drop some cat food off at the humane society and go drink half a bottle of wine & go to sleep.

Oh, & p.s. I have no internet at the apartment now, the network we were using secured themselves.

Later,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still love ya! and my nephew. Your little brother better be treating you right. You and markie man need some anti-depressants or just the shit beat out of ya! I haven't decided yet! Love ya bunches! Vickie

Natalie Weaver said...

I'm so happy we could sit and gossip, watch a little Hot Indiana Jones, read funny scripts and share a bottle of wine yesterday. I love you. So sorry for the the bombardment of s*&t in your life right now-

Natalie Weaver said...

p.s. A little info for you and Mark regarding the occasional beer bottle that is emptied in your apt...

"League City is going green. A GLASS recycling drop off location has been set up at the League City Public Works building at 1535 Dickinson Avenue, Mon- Fri 7:30 am- 5:00 pm."

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is JoLynn's sister. I need you to check your Ravelry messages. Linda

Anonymous said...

kari, this is JoLynn's sister. Please check your ravelry messages. Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a former GISD employee. I would love to give you some straight forward advice on your situation. I was in a pool of people that RIF fed a few years ago. My principal told me to call Joni DelPingre (sp) to find another position in my field in the district. I called. Jonie never made herself available to take phone calls from me. She was either out of the office or busy doing something else. When I went back to my principal that was all she could say. Luckily my principal got the ax the following year. Deep down I was happy to leave- I was working with a bunch of hipocrits and liars. The down side was that I am a single parent and this was my bread and butter. I found another job up the road. What I am learning is life is greener on the mainland as far as school districts go. The TAKS test continues to dictate the smaller school districts and those other activities- going to the library, going to art, going to music,and in some cases going to PE are not important anymore. GISD is worse now than when I was in Galveston.

If you are not from this area I would suggest the following places for employment: Friendswood and Clear Creek ISD. I have heard some good things about Santa Fe ISD as well. Google them. The other districts are okay. Some are shoving TAKS down the kids' throats.
I cannot recommend my district because of the TAKS issue. It is worse than I have ever seen it.
Email me if you wish
gumby7808@gmail.com