Sunday, June 29, 2008

Antiques Roadshow!

Mom and I started off to the roadshow a little later than the time on our tickets...if we had only known! Our ticket was for a 9:00 am entry time and apparently they have several entry times after that, like every hour on the hour!! So we arrived around 10:30ish and joined a huge line (they really should explain it better...or I should have actually read the back of the ticket!) and you wait in line the whole time until you get close to the end. At least they have something for you to watch...Antiques Roadshow episodes and various facts...and they just show the exciting ones of course to get everyone's hopes up! ha

But standing in line offers many opportunities...to people watch...some people brought truly cool antique items like these people...

I loved the doll buggy...amazing...and I hope the painting makes it on the show. It looks really old & is painted on three wood panels. Very cool.

And then there are the random people with their random items...


I mean how tall is that chair?!?! And the next one!! OMG!! Those are the kitchen chairs Warren and I have right now (thanks Allison) do they really think they are antique enough to bring to Antiques Roadshow?!?

But that's not all...even the white trash people showed up...



Tattoo woman on the left had on a cute black plaid dress...with brown boots! Sooo wrong! But the better to show off her tat's I guess, & she had a nose ring and the front half of her hair was blonde...all that with her kid in a stroller. Then there was old pink hair lady. I think she was trying to get noticed. Ew.

By the time we had stared at everyone and their items for a couple of hours and chatted up the people in line next to us, we finally make it to the entry way. And the pictures stop here because no photos past that point.

When you reach the head of the line, there are six "sorting" tables that you can go to. The line attendant lady will give you tickets for each item you have (two items per person) that tells you what kind of appraiser line you need to wait in. I had an item for decorative arts - I took the mother-of-pearl opera glasses that I bought in Rome - and an item for the jewelry section - Lori had a cameo of her mother's (grandmother's?) that I took for her.

Then you enter the area where they actually do the filming part of the show, which in reality it is very small! It always looks so large when you are watching it on T.V. but they have their camera crew set up in the middle with three areas (left side, front, and right side) with the black covered tables like you see on the show that they prep and then just swing the camera around to film whichever section is ready. They just sort of rotate between each platform/table.

None of our stuff got chosen for filming but we will be in the background of a few items! We were waiting in line for appraisals on what we took. Our totals turned out to be the following:

Mom:
collection of four carved ivory items - about $150 to $175 apiece totaling $600-$700 for the set
collection of ceramic (?) baby dolls - about $15 to $20 each...I can't remember how many there were so not sure of her total...
Me:
cameo necklace - about $50
mother-of-pearl opera glasses - about $125-$175

Our "show" will air sometime next year bewteen January and May. ha We may have forgotten by then!

2 comments:

kch said...

The cameo necklace belonged to Lori's grandmother. I only had 3 carved ivory pieces. The china dolls belonged to Lori's grandmother--vintage 1920s-30s made in Japan. I think there were 7 of them.

Natalie Weaver said...

Hmmmm... I might have had every color hair imaginable, and yes, I still really want blue streaks put in around my face, but pink?? Nope. That's too much even for me! Well, maybe if it was styled really cute and edgy... hmmmmm, maybe I would like it!! :) Anyway, thanks for adding the people watching pics... ;)
xoxoxo