Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ahoy, maties! HP anyone?

Ok, seriously...don't these people KNOW that HP (that's 'Harry Potter' to you non-Potter people) comes out in print officially today?!?!?! WHY did they have to schedule the orientation today? They are eating into my reading time! AHH!


So, today was the Elissa volunteer orientation hey-come-work-for-us-for-free seminar. Don't get me wrong tho-- they are an amazingly dedicated and enthusiastic group of people. You leave with the feeling that you must do some of everything for them and when can you start? how can you help? Rather persuasive.

So, now I am trying to decide what to do. I must decide by this next weekend because that is when the first class begins.

Basically the whole program is you complete at least 16 out of 20 training sessions where you are learning to make-ready and sail a 19th centuary barque or tall-ship. All of these training sessions happen over weekends, 9 to 5, spread out until Feb. where then they decide if you've volunteered enough time and effort and if so then you sail in March.

I'm tempted...and have a slight feeling of if I don't do it I'll regret it...My only hesitation is that I don't know if I truly want to dedicate so much time yet. I'm leaning towards doing some volunteer work this year and then maybe next year going thru the seamanship training. They have many other programs and ways where one can still volunteer without training to sail.

It's also kind of daunting to just up and do something on your own where you don't know anyone in the group. My shy streak coming out..

Oh well, guess I'll think on it some more...

No comments: