Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Some new art, a bad italian accent, & hot glue creations!

Ok, I just finished up an ATC swap that mom hosted on the yahoo group BeeswaxCollage and got the package off to her today, as well as another job application, and a package of books to Natalie W.

For those of you unfamiliar w/ what I'm talking about an ATC is an Artist Trading Card...we make them and swap them sort of like sports cards. :) Mom likes to host 'theme' card swaps on the site every other month or so. A swap is when you decide you'll make X amount of cards, mail them to the host (mom) along w/ some postage, and then she'll mix 'em up and you'll get back so many of cards from other people (amount is usually determined by how many you made and send...if you made 2 cards then you'll get 2 back, and so on).

I participate. Depends on if I'm inspired. :) (yes I have one, yes I wear it when I make stuff...rather inspiring, ha!) Anyway, our topic this month was 'Roma' and nooo...not the tomatoes, The Eternal City...for those of you'ha who don'ta speaka di italiano eets 'Rome' en italiano. Gratzi. Since I'm fresh back from Rome (as of May) then I thought I should make something...and yes this makes me realize I'm sorely lacking in having posted any Rome stories...guess I'll work on that.

Here are my submissions for the swap:
The first one is called "Italian Fashionista," and the quote at the bottom reads, "Oh, what I would give for an Italian sense of style." lol@myself :) I think she's rather cute. I made 11 of her!

The second one "Roma" is made on paper from Rome that I brought back from our honeymoon, the pic is of the capital ruins, there's some italian dictionary page in the background and the 'coin' is made of hot glue!!

How to make hot glue coin:
hot glue gun (lo-temp)
rubber stamp to make design
spray oil
non-stick surface
paint
paintbrush

1. Squirt out some hot glue onto something you can peel it off of...I used the bottom (turn it over) of a casserole dish.

2. Spray rubber stamp with the cooking oil...I used an olive oil kind...or you could probably use plain olive oil. I'm not too sure how Pam would work. Lemme know if ya'll try it.

[edited to add:]
3. [apparently I left out a step...] Squish oiled stamp into the warmish glue, leave there for a bit until kinda dry-ish and firm feeling then pull stamp out. (Duh! I guess I kinda thought ya'll could read between the lines on that one.)

4. Peel off of casserole dish. Rinse. (so it's not oily when you paint it).

5. Paint whatever color you desire. Krylon pain pens work the best, but I didn't have any and used gold acrylic...I think it worked ok. :)

So easy! So cool! Insta coins! I may have to play w/ some of my other stamps! Rather quicker than trying for embossing something and gives a nice lumpy piece to adhere to add texture.

Anyway, time for me to go and begin on supper. David is coming over and I'm making some grilled salmon w/ rice and veggies. Tomorrow is test day for them (mid-term, cardiac class) so I'm making them brain food dinner. :)

Ciao!

3 comments:

Natalie Weaver said...

Cute cards!! Love the little lesson on glue gun coins... you just never know what I'm going to learn from you from day to day. I think that's fabulous.

kch said...

You left out a step! Between giving the rubber stamp an oil coat and peeling off the glue "coin"....as in "Press the rubber stamp in the just squirted out glue and let sit until cool then gently remove the rubber stamp."

The less detail in the rubber stamp, the better your image will turn out. Krylon paint markers are the easiest to use in coloring the glue coins/seals.

bookworm27 said...

Man...I kinda figured people could figure out to put the stamp in the glue!!! I'll go back and add tho--